Sunday, July 31, 2011

Getting On With My Life

JULY 2011
Me on the left with dear friend Carla Robertson on right.
Despite my continued arthritis and increasing fatigue, I continued to ride my bike. I ride with a local bike group called the Mello Velo's and typically we would ride around 100 - 150 miles per week. I was worried about the biking (gripping of the handle bars and aerobic activity) adversely affecting my arthritis, making my condition deteriorate or vice verse but actually it made my symptoms improve as well as my overall fatigue. (This is interesting because later in my blog when I discuss Lyme Disease treatment protocols, there are many who believe that aerobic exercise is ABSOLUTELY prohibited. I beg to differ based on my exerience, but will discuss in more detail later.) The more movement I had of my hands and feet and the more exercise I got the better. This is why I believe my symptoms improved during the day only to get worse again at night and early mornings when I was not moving as much. One of my best friends is a member of the bike club and is responsible for my love for biking. She and I had been training to ride a very special bike event called Ragbrai. This annual seven-day bicycle ride across the state of Iowa is almost 500 miles and is the longest, largest and oldest touring non-professional bicycle ride in the world ...

WE DID IT! 500 MILES!

In spite of the turmoil going on inside my body. I was/am grateful that I am not horribly inflicted by this unknown illness and can continue with my passion...biking and my love of the outdoors. Remember, I have not been diagnosed with anything but the "typical" myalgias and inflammatory arthritis of unknown origin.Who would think by looking at me that I was struggling with some sort of internal demon that was trying to take over my body? This is actually what makes it such a hard and lonely journey. I look so "normal" and can ride a bike 500 miles! "Quit complaining" some may say (and probably did!).

No comments:

Post a Comment